NAME: Beant Kaur
Village: Mehma Sarja, Bathinda, Punjab
Role: Village Volunteer
At just 18 years of age, Beant is no stranger to social work. She got her first taste of it at the age of 11 as an Adolescent Peer Educator, and was hooked! As the primary driver of ACF’s Women Empowerment Programme in her community, Beant is a busy teen – juggling social work duties, studies in Tally, household chores and of course – all important time with friends!
As a leader in the APEKSHA Programme at school, Beant built a name and reputation for herself as a passionate advocate for social issues – regularly addressing large crowds on stage on topics such as sanitation, anemia and drug addiction. Whilst she used to dream of being a banker, today her sights are firmly set on generating social change!
• WOMEN’S EMPOWERMENT – Beant works with 20 SelfHelp Groups (SHGs), mobilising women to participate and get involved in savings and income generation. She was instrumental in coordinating participation in an exhibition in Delhi where women sold local handicrafts, and was the primary driver of mask making among the women.
• ADOLESCENT HEALTH – Harnessing her experience, Beant helped form 6 adolescent peer educator groups with 10 to 12 teens in each group, helping guide and train the groups on adolescent health issues.
• COVID-19 – During the pandemic, Beant acted as a Single Point of Contact (SPOC) for her community, creating awareness on the virus and vaccination by running online sessions and disseminating Information, Education, Communication (IEC) materials.
• KITCHEN GARDENS – During lockdown, with the help of ACF, Beant supported her women neighbours to establish kitchen gardens, to promote health and supplement household vegetables.
• SANITATION – Advocating for menstrual hygiene, Beant has been instrumental in changing behavior of many women and girls, who today openly discuss the matter, seek help, use sanitary napkins and dispose them off properly.
• DRUG ADDICTION – With drug abuse a common problem in Punjab, Beant gives lectures on drug addiction and organises street plays on the issue and its devastating impacts on lives.
The daughter of a humble tailor, Beant has an enterprising spirit and stark leadership skills - seeking to make a difference wherever she goes.
This girl was born to serve …